Friday March 15, 2019
Exclusive access to Jay B. Starkey Wilderness Park
Having awesome nature adventures is pretty much guaranteed when you live at Starkey Ranch. In addition to our own 2,000 acres of natural Florida, residents also enjoy exclusive access directly from our community to the 8,300 acres of preserved wilderness at the adjacent Jay B. Starkey Wilderness Park.
Cristina Cordon, Pasco Country Parks and Recreation Supervisor, works often with the Starkey Ranch lifestyle team to share her knowledge and excitement about the amazing nature experiences our residents can enjoy having this great natural wonder just next door.
What kind of wilderness activities does the Park offer? You name it! Here are some Cristina suggests:
- Wildlife Sightings: Everyday access from Starkey Ranch makes it easy to see deer, gopher tortoises, alligators and Cristina’s favorite, Sherman Fox Squirrels. Enjoy a front row viewpoint as seasonal birds, butterflies and other species migrate through the Park’s wildlife corridors
- Bird Watching: The western section of the Audubon Society’s Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail is yours to enjoy with over 175 species of birds identified in the park so far
- Traverse Numerous Eco-Systems Via Paved and Wilderness Trails: See how strikingly beautiful yet different eco-systems are woven together as you travel by bike or foot. The Starkey Ranch trail system adjoins the Wilderness Park’s 7.5 miles of paved trails and 13 miles of hiking trails connecting to the 42-mile Suncoast Trail
- Picturesque Picnics: Seven picnic areas offer grills, shelters and varying amenities such as electricity, restrooms, pavilions, a playground and volleyball courts. Reservations needed for large parties
- Camping Your Way: For sleep-away adventures close to home, choose from campsites with cabins and tent sites to primitive backcountry camp sites for hikers—reservations may be needed
Park Events, Classes and Adventures for All Ages: Kids can enjoy Park activities like beginning archery and photography, building bird boxes and compass and orienteering. The whole family will love astronomy nights, guided nature hikes, camping how-tos and more. Find current events at https://www.facebook.com/StarkeyPark/ or ask the Starkey Ranch lifestyle team.
From Starkey Ranch, you can enter the Jay B. Starkey Wilderness Park via our paved trail system leading onto Starkey Boulevard and into the Park. And expect two new direct access routes to be announced soon. Get details on Park fees, reservations and more at https://www.pascocountyfl.net/1920/Jay-B-Starkey-Wilderness-Park-Amenities.